Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Scented Geranium

I have been babysitting my friend's scented geranium for the winter.  She had no room in her house to winter it back.  I used to grow these years ago when I was in the Herb Society and had so many varieties.  The rose scented plants are my favorite.  We can pass by this and barely brush the leaves, then a wonderful perfume permeates the air.  I have propagated 2 plants from this one by simply making a cutting and putting the cuttings in a pot with potting soil.  Of course, water and keep in a sunny location.  This scented geranium is supposed to be a citronella or mosquito plant, but it smells like roses instead of lemons.  It may be a 'Rober's' ? Anyway, the Victorians put these plants in their parlor and when guests arrived, they would touch the plant to emit the wonderful perfume.  The first air freshener.  These plants originate from Africa. Wow! I would love to see these in their native environment.  I guess I will bring this one back to my friend when we warm up so she can put it back outside. I will enjoy my little babies from this plant.
 
For more information on Scented Geraniums, visit Sunland Herbs.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment